- The scope of the EWG is limited to the monitoring and reporting of gaseous and particulate emissions to air from power plant installations (incorporating Energy from Waste schemes).
- The EWG scope embraces both manual and automatic measurement techniques.
- The EWG works to understand, comment on, and sometimes participate in, the development of relevant CEN/ISO standards. By contributing an industrial perspective, it is anticipated that new standards will be better suited to real world applications.
- The EWG members exchange information/experience relating to the application of periodic and continuous monitoring techniques and related standards, e.g., the Quality Assurance standard EN14181.
- The EWG tracks the development of new monitoring technologies and makes recommendations for joint working on method development, where appropriate.
- The EWG aims to maintain a membership which is representative of the European Power Industry.