VGB Hydro – Technical Programs
VGB with its leading role in understanding about good and best practices in hydropower operation and development launches in cooperation with its members different Technical Programs. These programs are part of the comprehensive activities of VGB for the hydropower sector to support the daily work in operation, maintenance and plant optimization as well as in techno-economic, environmental and strategic challenges. Therefore, the programs are open for VGB members as well as non-VGB members.
- Cost comparison for run-of-river power plants
The run-of-river cost comparison is based on a proven and unique methodology which assures an objective and best-in-class benchmarking of all O&M cost categories taking into account the vast variety of such plants and their specifications.
Read more ...
- Operations management comparison for storage and pumped storage power plants
Storage and pumped storage power plants are even more specific than run-of-river power plants. Thus, VGB will start the comparison of such plants with a moderated survey and overview of operations management strategies, approaches and processes. This approach will provide deep insights into the differences in operating and maintaining such plants throughout the industry and by this help adapt and optimize own approaches.
Read more ...
The present cost comparison methodology was developed by VGB in cooperation with its members. The necessary selection of technical and infrastructural parameters to be involved were identified with the support of experts from leading hydropower operators with regard to a cost-driving influence on the O&M cost category as a Cost Influenced Parameter (CIP). Based on this, the mathematical cause-effective relationship between the identified CIP and the individual O&M cost categories was determined. The cost comparison method consists of a four-step process to enable a comparison of O&M costs between different run-of-river power plant.
A wide range of different run-of-river power plants can be compared transparently with a proven harmonized cost comparison methodology based on expert know-how:
- Anonymized competitor positions within the cost comparison
- Detailed report including best practices and a detailed evaluation for each plant
- Identification of areas for improvement
- Statement about indicative cost targets to be able to achieve top performance
- Comprehensive and transparent overview of the O&M cost structure
- Insight into cause-effect relationships between technical and infrastructural parameters and O&M costs categories
- Indications and guide values for concrete improvement measures
Operations management comparison for storage and pumped storage power plants
Operators of storage and pumped storage power plants participating in this program are to achieve a better overview of best practices in operations management and of the flow of relevant processes in order to evaluate their individual operations management concept. The program covers the following tasks and measures:
- Analyze and define main processes of operation management
- Run series of up to 6 workshops to discuss
- Approaches to operational concepts
- Differences in concepts and reasons for individual approach
- Conclusions for participants
- Summarize results and make them available to all participants
- Discuss results individually with participants
Transparent qualitative comparison of different operational management concepts and the flow of relevant processes of different companies leads to the identification of possible own improvement potentials.